Blog views

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Monday, October 03, 2011

Yes!!

Technology is fantastic. (Can I get an amen?)
Unfortunately, I had to work through conference this year. Fortunately, my bummed-ness didn't last long, because lds.org has it up and ready for me to make a catch up on already! Which seems incredible to me. Either way, I'm grateful. :)

Now, in reference to the title of this post, I was so happy to hear Elder Neil L. Andersen's talk.
I've always been excited to be a mom, which maybe sounds silly, and a wee bit personal to be blogging about, but it's true! I think kids are the cutest, most obnoxious, and messiest miracles to ever come to earth! (Albeit, child care wasn't always rainbows and butterflies. Especially when toilets overflowed and small stomachs managed to project massive amounts of already eaten cookies across kitchen floors.)
Motherhood is one of the most rewarding sounding challenges though, and lately I haven't been overly shy in saying so. Friends have almost ridiculed me, though, for wanting to be a mom, so this talk was so reassuring and awesome to hear! (I admit... there was a 'neiner neiner' moment in my mind... I should probably repent for that one.)
Anyway, just thought I'd share that really quick.

Also, I met this man!

I shook his hand, and got an autograph. (Ten points if you know who he is without scrolling down!)

This is David Roberts, author of In Search of the Old Ones, Sandstone Spine, and (the one I actually found interesting,) Devil's Gate: Brigham Young and The Great Mormon Handcart Tragedy.
(The NHA bookstore carries In Search of the Old Ones. Mr. Roberts came to Bryce to hike, and stopped in the visitor's center, only to discover his book, and in an act of great kindness, and humble service, signed every last copy we had on hand. At his insistence. I suppose I'd do the same thing if I was an author and really wanted to feel famous, and had the right to do so. :p)
He thanked us for carrying his book, and told us about the others he's written. Which is when I decided I've got to add Devil's Gate: Brigham Young and The Great Mormon Handcart Tragedy to my reading list. It'll be interesting to see his take on things. The fact he calls it a tragedy eludes to the fact he's missing out on the story entirely. I'm sure he's got something awesome in it though, despite the Johnny Raincloud approach. ;)
I'm just thankful we know that it wasn't a tragedy at all, but an incredible story and example of so many people's faith. :)

Also, I'm finally on day five (let's call it six, since today is over already) of the eight day work stretch. Days off, here I come!

2 comments:

  1. Hi sweet Shannon, So glad you got to watch conference so soon. I thought about you during many of the talks and wished you were here enjoying them with us. Thanks for being such a choice sweet special youg lady. You are so awesome. We are so happy to have you for our grnaddaughter....Keep up the good work and please come see us soon. Love you so much...Gram

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS Please excuse the typing errors I seem to be getting worse!!

    ReplyDelete