Blog views

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Hi, my name is Shannon...

I like Twix better than Snickers, I'm a total shower singer, and I love balconies. I have a weakness for simple toasted and buttered homemade bread, I cook and clean when I'm angry, and I guzzle hot chocolate the second the weather starts feeling just the tiniest bit colder. I like driving with the music up and windows down, and I just wrecked my car yesterday.

It feels like a total dream. Well. More of a nightmare huh.

Poor Sid. Sexy Saturn? Not anymore bud. Not anymore...

When I got into my car in the Snow Garden parking lot, I snapped in my seat belt buckle, and thought, "Hey. I should say a prayer." So I did. Out loud. I'm pretty sure the people walking past me thought I was schizo or something... but I just felt the need to say a prayer for safety and of thanks for everything that I've been blessed with lately- there's so much! I was on my way to Hatch for Fall vacation and I was singing at the top of my lungs to the random CD Caitlan and I made the day before. In Marysvale canyon, just out of Richfield, I was going around one of the especially sharp turns and got sick of the song I was listening to. So I glanced down and hit the 'next' button. Nothing out of the ordinary right? Half a second in time. But when I looked up this huge blur of color was coming right at me. So what did I do? Good question. Pretty sure I cussed. And felt the impact. And slammed on brakes thinking, "don't over correct, don't over correct!" Sid skidded off the road, and the giant dump truck pulled over and stopped. So did a handful of other cars that saw the accident. A little old woman was on one end of the accident stopping traffic, and her husband was on the other end stopping the other flow. A couple of little old men talked to me through the window, asking was I ok, could I feel any pain in my neck, they couldn't smell gas but I should probably get out and away from my car just in case. I tried opening my door and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't open. Maybe it's locked. So I try the lock only to find it sorta isn't there anymore. One gentleman told me I'd have to get out the passenger side, so I crawled over glass and opened the door. One guy who stopped helped me over to his car so I could sit down. At that point I was shaking and bawling and hyper ventilating... all sorts of brave manly reaction type stuff. A little bit later, after talking to a Sheriff from Piute that I knew, I walked around and looked at my car. Holy garbage! Car guts. All over. The whole drivers side was peeled back and shattered. And back on the site of impact? There weren't pieces of Saturn. Just Saturn dust. Heavy duty cars, eh? :p In the back seat there were big chunks of glass from the window breaking. Remember at the top where I mentioned I love driving with the windows down? That's sort of an important detail. A few minutes before the accident I decided I should roll my window down instead of having the AC going. I remember thinking, "well goodness, the drag of having a window down will take the same toll on gas mileage as having the air conditioning on would anyway. But I just kept feeling like I should have the window down. Even though I was driving fast, and that usually bugs me. So instead of stinkin chunks of window, I just got window crumbles. I even got some pieces in my mouth but they were baby sized and I barely even got scratches from it. Luck? I think not. Blessed? Very. Everyone kept saying that it was 'just inches'... just a few inches closer and who knows how bad things could have been. "Now you can say you've come within three inches of your life! Ha Ha..." Yup. Funny joke to the poor in shock college student who is now car-less, but at least her cookies were in a Tupperware container so they didn't get glass all over. :p

A couple hours, and some witness reports, plenty of tears and chaos later... I was in Matt Whittaker's patrol car on my way to Circleville, where Sid was being towed to and where my parents were meeting me. So I cleaned out my car, took the key off the ring and got in the truck to head home to Cedar City.

The end. :p

Quite a story huh? For the record, you feel ten times worse the day after... and BFF's with bags of french fries definitely are just what the doctor ordered the night of. I took pictures, but I can't upload them on this computer, since I just use the card reader on my laptop. So those will have to come later. Like Sunday night. :p So, until then...
God is wonderful, and prayers are answered. Love you guys!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you are okay! it sure sounds like you are a very blessed and loved girl by our Heavenly Father. glad you are okay, but I'm sorry to hear about your car. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful miracle. I'm very happy you weren't hurt. Love you Shannon my niece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh!!! I am so glad you're okay. That is really scary. Ahhh! I'm so relieved you're okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! I am so happy that you are OK !!!It wounds like you were truly blessed! Love Ya!

    ReplyDelete