Blog views

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Fried Green Tomatoes, Camera shopping, and 3 days

Well. There you go. I think I pretty much covered everything in the title.
Someday I'll learn discretion.

Last night my grandpa took us girl's to Ruby's Inn for dinner.

 The restaurant is sooo cute! Very cabin-y, with THE coolest photo of cowgirls. It's sort of silhouette-y but still has details.

 I might be in love. In fact, Meg, Miss, Er and B... fetch some cow may hats, we're having a photo shoot! ... As soon as I get a camera. How many days until Christmas again? ;)
I've been browsing through some of Nikon's cameras... I might have drooled a few times. I think I should maybe read what Wikipedia has to say about nice cameras first, though, because as much as I like to think I'm intelligent in photography- I pretty much know nothing. I'm sure they've got a 'For Dummies' book on it. Good excuse to hit Barnes and Noble. ;)
I just need some of this stuff. 

Ok, Fried Green Tomatoes. By raise of hand, how many have read the book, watched the movie, or partaken of the heavenly culinary masterpiece? (The third one might be an utter lie. I haven't tried it. Frankly, it sounds kind of lethal. Like arsenic.)

Last night after the Ruby's dinner, we were gathered in the living room and my grandpa had on (you guessed it) football.
Grandma, "Didn't you say you wanted to watch a movie?"
 "...Thinking about it."
"That's what I thought you said."
"Yup."
"Looks like a movie," Grandma says, eyes glued to the screen display of ESPN. Somehow, I don't think she was nearly as enthralled by it as Grandpa was. ;)
Grandpa just grins, with his twinkly blue eyes and cute dimple. "It is."
"Ya know, some people watch movies," her voice getting that teasing tone to it, easily confused with disgruntlement, "I've heard of it!"
"Yeah, and they're all R rated and..." Grandpa's voice trails off.
Grandma sniffs, "Well, I wouldn't know." Then she smiles at me. Haha these two are comedy central I'm telling you. I never ever would've known either! Grandpa's quiet, and grandma bustles in the kitchen. Until this Summer when I moved and discovered a deeper side to each of their personalities. :) It's so much fun to be around them! Especially when they go at each other like that. Grandpa is impossible to corner, no matter how much grandma teases and pipes up with her own come backs. My grandparents are seriously the kindest, most down to earth, real people with the absolute biggest hearts that I have ever met. :)
The other day grandma and I were chuckling over something grandpa said on his way out the door, and she just smiled with this cute look on her face and told me, "I can be pretty put out with him, and all he has to do is grin, and everything's ok."
I want to sit at my kitchen table with my granddaughter and tell her something like that about her grandpa someday.

Anyway. So grandpa relented, and we watched some MASH, some of the Mary Tyler Moore show, and then about five minutes on atomic bombs, and finally grandma came across a dramatic looking scene with people dressed in past dated clothing... so of course we stopped to watch! We only caught the end, but luckily it was playing back to back. We just sort of did things out of order. :p I really loved it though! Lots of strong personalities, and tough women living life. It's sort of two stories. Evelyn is married to a bum. (But not occupationally, Erin. Just generally. And largely. ;p)
She's trying her hardest to save the marriage, when she meets Mrs. Threadgoode in the nursing home after visiting her bum husband's aunt. Mrs. Threadgoode tells Evelyn about Ruth and Idgie and they're adventurous stories. I'd tell you more, but then you'd pull a Shannon in AP English and just be content with the Spark Notes version. ;) I want you to go Netflix this movie! Tonight! (Oh. In Evelyn's attempts to save the marriage she goes to group classes... and a few of them are a wee bit sketch. Parental supervision is advised. :p)

                                     
Three more days, and then I'm Cedar bound! (Cross your fingers, and say some prayers, that I find a job fast.)

Oh! Also, I have work stories. But now I can't remember them. Mostly just funny old men, and the things they say.
I do remember one of them, though. I helped a couple the other day, they thanked me and left. (Good story, huh?)
I was just getting into my children's chapter book again when they came back in. I'm thinking, "Shoot! What did I mess up on this time?" (People have been especially picky the past couple of weeks. Or else they just don't actually know what size they buy and then blame me as if I was supposed to know that the 2XL is their regular size and so how could I ever be so obtuse as to sell them just an XL?? ;p)
The man spoke first, his wife smiling behind him, "Do you have assisted living in San Francisco?"
I blink a few times... what in the world do these foreign people want with assisted living? Mass identity heist?
"Assisted living?" I ask, while he nods enthusiastically. "Um..."
"There's a girl from there. You look just like her! And she said she has a sister living near Bryce." he interrupts. Ah! A sister, not assisted. Goodness. I probably should crank up the hearing aids.
"Oh! Not that I know of." I smile, but when they look a little sheepish I add, "I get that a lot. Maybe she's my lost twin!" ... I don't think they understood that was a joke. The looks on their faces were pretty funny.  :)
So. I've got yet another look alike. Is it incredibly odd that I hear that constantly? I find it sort of strange... Oh well.
Back to camera studying.
Oh! P.S I made an apron this morning. :) Grandma should teach home ec.

It's double sided. (Thanks Captain Obvious, right?) The only problem with that is I can't decide which side I like better!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon, Love the apron. You are quite the talented little
    girl. Hope you can find a job soon. We were in Cedar City today and yesterday. Grandpa had an Eye appointment. WE came home through Brinahead and down the Mamouth it was a beautiful drive. Can't wait to see you on Saturday. Hope the roads are good...Love Gram...

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. It's late and I can't see what i'm doing I better go to bed. Excuse the bad typing......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute apron! I like the patterny side. And I am opposite of you. I have never seen the movie Fried Green Tomatoes, but I have eaten real fried green tomatoes, and they are delicious. I must watch the movie now!

    ReplyDelete