Blog views

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, November 03, 2010

When life gets boring...

Have a photo shoot!
(These are pictures Caitlan took, and they're kinda ridiculous and silly but most importantly really super fun!)

































Yeah. It was sorta a blast. Just so you know. Also, just so you know, I'm feeling so blasted empowered. Wanna know why?? Remember how "Courage" is my word of 2010? Well, it took me the better part of the year to finally figure it out, but I think I've got it now. Courage isn't something I dredge up from inside myself. It's something I adopt through living the gospel. By doing all Heavenly Father asks, and living his teachings, I truly have nothing to fear. That's not to say that it's easy or that I'm not scared anyway, but it's saying that yes, I have fear; but I don't need to be afraid. (Mark 5:36 "...Be not afraid, only believe.") Courage is the part where you face the fears and trials in your life, honestly believing everything will be ok because of the gifts and sacrifices of Heavenly Father and Christ. Courage is the part of us that wants to take worldly risks for eternal rewards. Courage is the fire inside us that pushes us to accomplish things that Satan tries to convince the world are impossible. Nothing is impossible with God. Believing that is courage.
I thought a lot about that today and recently, and I decided I'm so glad that my cousin Angie put the word of the year thing on her blog in January. It's been sort of an underlying blessing in my life over the past year. When things would get really difficult I'd have the word "courage" come to mind, reminding me what I decided I was going to strive for this year. Lots of times just remembering that word would help me be more determined to show courage in my choices and actions. Not every time, of course, because sometimes people are silly and don't always make perfect choices. But in every talk or song or spiritual thought that contained courage, I found personalization. The speaker cared about Shannon. It struck me even more profoundly because it was 'my word'. So, Thank you Angie for inspiring that for me. I can't wait to come up with a word for 2011!

1 comment:

  1. Okay, a lot of those pictures are actually really beautiful! I love that dress and all the ruching in the back is kind of old-fashioned-y looking (or you could say "vintage", but people really should consider changing the term "vintage" to "old-fashioned-y looking", don't you think?). I especially love the vintage look of some of the photos with that dress! I sort of feel like you're some beautiful maiden from the old west, or something.

    I am really bad at expressing myself. The point is that you look pretty and these are cool photos.

    And I am so happy your theme for the year has worked out so wonderfully! I have had a similar experience with mine, and will definitely have to make this a yearly tradition. This year was the first time we've done it too.

    ReplyDelete