Blog views

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, December 01, 2010

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE BEST DADDY OF THE WORLD!

Yes folks, it's true. It's Michael Wallace Heap's birthday on this very day of the 23rd day before Christmas. And therefore, that's what I'm grateful for on the 23rd day before Christmas! (Don't worry. It's tying into Christ and Christmas eventually.)
Dear Dad.
Thanks for the way you've always been an example of genuine desire to be your best. You're so good with people and making them feel special and loved no matter who they are or what they do. I admire your respect for those around you and for yourself. Thank you for all the daddy daughter dates, and visits in your truck (complete with hopeful stories and Rascal Flatts ;).) We always joke about how you somehow swindled mom into this marriage, 'before she knew what she was getting into' :p, but we all know that my mother is a smart woman and knew exactly what she was getting into. She's a lucky son of a gun too, ya know. You're the basis of comparison for the kind of guys I date because someday I hope I get to be just as lucky as mom is. You've always been such a good, attentive and patient dad, and now that I'm older I can better appreciate the affectionately called "Garbage dates". :) It really is a blessing for the girls and me to know how much you love mom. You treat her and us like royalty and that's such and admirable trait that you have. It's a gift dad, and you share that with everyone and I truly look up to that.
Also, I admire the ability you have to speak publicly. Your talks are seriously amazing every time. I remember one time when I had to speak in sacrament and I felt super nervous, but excited because I wanted to speak in church as well as you do and I guess that means practice. :) I admire your knowledge of the scriptures and doctrine of the gospel. That's one of the other things about you that I have aspirations to be half as good as you in. ;) I love all your story telling and the fact that it's still fun to hear the stories even when I can flash my fingers a million times. You've got a gift with words, and people, and love and... sorta everything! Goodness. How am I ever going to catch up at this rate? :)
Dad, I just want to say thank you for being my dad, and for being my friend. I have so many memories I treasure of you and I love you soooooo much!
Happy Birthday Dad!! :D

Now, like I promised, it's tying into Christ and Christmas.
A- My dad is the one who's helped me the most in my relationship with Christ and understanding the atonement. I absolutely love him to death for that because that's so important for him to teach all of his girls and he does a marvelous job of it.
B- Whenever I think of Christmas I think of two birthdays besides Christ's. My dads (obviously :p) and my great Grandpa Garth's. But those two go hand in hand because my dad had a very special relationship with his Grandpa and I feel like I sort of get to have that vicariously now. :)
C- I remember lots of family home evenings when I was little. They were great. "Sometimes we don't even learn anything. ... But we always learn how to love each other." (name that movie!) But most times we learned lots. My dad would read scriptures about Christ when it got close to Christmas time, and just in the way he talks and the look in his eyes, you can tell that he knows his Saviour. And that gives us hope and strength as his girls to find our own testimony of Christ.

(Also, before I forget as I'm posting this... I just saw the giant John Wayne in our bedroom and I remembered another fond memory of watching John Wayne movies with my dad. You should also know that he's a great sport when it comes to watching girly stuff like cheesey chick flicks and the amazing Pride and Prejudice. :) That, fellers of the world, is a trait you should learn.)








4 comments:

  1. your dad is the coolest! :) I hope he has a great day of birth!

    (ps. I think all great dads watch John Wayne. Those are some of my best memories with my dad.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also a big fan of your dad. He is such an amazing example to me and I really look up to him. Even more so after this post! Happy Birthday Uncle Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the post - love your dad - love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Shann! Best gift of the day! (Usually people have to die to get people to make them look better than they really are:))
    Love Ya tons!!!!

    ReplyDelete