Blog views

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Quotes from work:

"You are so kind! You will get many blessings for this!" (Says the lady who had the ring I complimented and then maybe wished a little bit that I hadn't, because twenty minutes later I knew every last detail about the ring. Or would have if I could keep up with her super fast talking and oriental accent. :p)

"People your age talk too fast, and roll your eyes more than you used to." (Says the grumpy older gentleman who probably just needed a hearing aid but didn't hesitate to blame his misunderstanding everything on my age. :) So I talked slower than most geriatrics, and kept firm eye contact. ... I think he at least felt nicer after that, despite the fact he still had to ask "What?" at least three times.)

"I love you! Um... I... beautiful eyes!" (This petite Korean(? totally spit balling on nationality. But it sounds fitting...) woman didn't speak English very well, so not only did she compliment my eyes, but I also found a bosom friend apparently. She loves me. :) So there.)

"Oh bless you! You're doing right by us, we'll remember that won't we, Jerry!" (I can't even remember why she decided to bless me, but that was so sweet of her to say. She was a cute older woman traveling all the National Parks with her husband, Jerry. He was a quiet, smiley gentleman with salt and pepper hair and giant glasses. I love older people. Usually. Some of them forgot to take their nice meds.)

Also, the past few weeks I've made it my goal to find ways to share my testimony with those I meet at work. (I figured missionaries are so happy from sharing so it ought to work for me too!)
Bryce Canyon is a very uniquely scenic area, and so I've found that's the easiest way to bring up Heavenly Father in casual conversation. (Casual... haha so they think. ;) )
So many people tell me how blessed I am for living in an area so beautiful, which is when I get to tell them they're right, and I'm grateful to be able to see so many of Heavenly Father's creations, and Aren't they amazing? (Sneaky, right? Probably not... now that I type it all down it sounds rather quite conspicuous.)
Yesterday, a woman in a wheelchair commented on the canyon's beauty, and so when I expressed being thankful for Heavenly Father's creations she told me how happy she was to hear me say that. "Too many people forget who they should say Thank you to." She basically shared her testimony back to me, and I realized that most of us at least have that in common.
Working at Bryce has been financially rewarding, of course, because it's higher wages, more hours, and a fun staff to work with; but it's also been spiritually rewarding. Having a set bedtime routine with studying has been so good, and my testimony of our true identity as children of a loving Heavenly Father has been strengthened from working with such a diverse public. When I thought about everything I've been so blessed to learn here, I realized I could have been learning that all along at my other jobs, I guess I just needed my behind kicked into gear to learn it at all. :p
One of the biggest things I've found from working here, is it truly is easier to be optimistic than to be grumpy. (Def. easier: better feeling. :) It's not always 'easy' per-say to get on top of being grumpy, but I feel like you accomplish so much, and enjoy it more if you're trying to be positive. It truly is up to you how you feel about life. So why not decide to be happy?)

2 comments:

  1. Love your testimony and your great example of sharing it at work! It is a scary thing to bring up your most sacred beliefs in conversation with strangers who may or may not agree with what you believe. Kudos to you for just going for it! I am sure people appreciate your sincerity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Choose to be happy...what a wise concept for one so young. It truly is the KEY TO HAPPINESS. We are all in charge of our attitude no matter how many other things in life that we are not in charge of. We can always choose how we feel about things and happiness is the BEST Choice.... Love the idea of sharing your gratitude for a loving Heavenly Father. It truly is amazing the detail and sheer beauty he has provided for us to enjoy each and every day of our lives......Love you so much Gram...

    ReplyDelete