Blog views

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, August 28, 2011

You is kind. You is smart. You is Important.

I'm perfectly aware I'm well beyond the pumpkin hours, and my glass slippers are shattered and all but I couldn't wait another second!
I had a date tonight!
Although, it wasn't actually part of my "raining men" streak. ;) Erin and I went on an adventure to a spinny park (to be discussed later. Maybe if I remember.) and then went to The Help.
(By the way, I'm absolutely in love with these fictional characters. I want to go visit them, and give them both a hug over a slice of pie. :p )

I had to tell you about it before my warm fuzzies wore off. ;)
It's sort of a phenomenal movie, and you all need to buy tickets right now! (I'll wait.)

... 

Anyway, now that you've got fifteen minutes to spare before you head out the door to see for yourselves, 
I adored this movie. It's so heart wrenching, yet hopeful and touching all in one giant tear jerking movie. It's about a woman (Skeeter) who wants to write, and interview the black maids to show the world their perspective. It takes place in the 1960's, when Martin Luther King was making his mark on society. To see the way some people treated their maids was honestly thought provoking, I'd never stopped to realize that's how it worked back then. This summer has been especially prolific in my testimony of who I am, and who each of us are as children of a Heavenly Father who knows us individually, and loves us perfectly. Those who were being mistreated in the movie were the ones who caught my attention, and it truly makes you feel so tender for what minorities have gone through, and still face sometimes, but what caught my attention was those who were mistreating. I was so riled up with how they spoke down to their 'help' and how everything was about how they appeared in society, but as I thought about it (while brushing my teeth, which is when most epiphanies happen ;) ) I felt just as tender for them. Because they didn't understand, genuinely, who they were, and it struck me how wonderful a Gospel that helps me love mean people is. (I just sounded really corny and rambly, but isn't the gist of that true? It's absolutely mind boggling to me how some people survive without having The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in their lives. It brings so much light and understanding and hope to every aspect of my life, so that when I'm sitting in a theater next to a large man spitting pop-corn kernels I still feel touched by the spirit. And that's sort of beautiful to me. :) )

Anyway. I'm off my soap box and off to read Mr. Montana's letter (remember that guy from the VC?) Well we're pen pals now. This is letter number two! (Which makes me presumptuous to use the term "pen pals" so casually, doesn't it?) And considering it's now officially Sunday, and I may possibly have a date tomorrow for real, and officially one for Monday I best get some beauty sleep...otherwise...

I'll be lookin like this when I answer the door. And we can't have that, now, can we?

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you loved the movie! I read the book last summer and loved it, so I was excited (and a little nervous) to see that they made a movie out of it. Could it really live up to the book? Looks like it did! Now you should go read the book, it's a good one! And I will see the movie. Deal? Deal.

    Have fun on your dates! Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI SWEET SHANNON! We are really missing you. Are you going to be able to come to the Family reunion? We hope so..How are things going at work? Glad you are enjoying your cute blue car. And Hay....How about all those fun dates...Way to go....Keep smiling, and keep on being awesome. Hope we can see the movie. I have seen it advertized on TV. Come see us soon. Tons of love Gram

    ReplyDelete