Blog views

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Delusions of Grandeur


This is a story about a girl who watched the movie, Eat, Pray, Love. And cried. (In a good way, I think.)
Warning: the following critique may contain spoilers.
Just throwing that out there. 
Now, I realize that it's completely irrational for her to drop everything and move to Italy, India and Bali... but it seemed pretty alluring to me. 
Most of all, the idea of being able to find yourself as an individual is great. Truly, it's genius. When Liz is telling her friend about her plan to travel she says she's constantly either been in a relationship or getting out of one since she was fifteen. Which is semi how I feel. Why is it that women feel they need a significant other to be considered valuable? It's kind of ridiculous, really. 
Aside from all my dramatically emotional attachments and parallels, there were at least a million incredible quotes. Like...
 "I remember an old catholic joke about a man who spent his whole life going to a church every day and prayed to the statue of a great saint begging "please, please, please, let me win the lottery" Finally the exasperated statue comes to life and looks down at the begging man and says "my son, please, please, please, buy a ticket." So now I get the joke, and I bought three tickets."


"You're wishin' too much baby. You gotta stop wearing your wishbone where your back bone ought to be."


“Groceries, you need to learn how to select your thoughts just the same you select what clothes you’re gonna wear every day, this is a power you can cultivate. If you want to control things in your life so bad, work on the mind … Because if you can’t learn to master your thinking, you’re in deep trouble forever.”  


"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestations of your own blessings. And once you have achieved a state of happiness, you must never become lax about maintaining it. You must make a mighty effort to keep swimming upward into that happiness forever, to stay afloat on top of it."


"There’s a crack (or cracks) in everyone…that’s how the light of God gets in."


"You were given life; it is your duty (and also your entitlement as a human being) to find something beautiful within life, no matter how slight."


"Someday you're gonna look back on this moment of your life as such a sweet time of grieving. You'll see that you were in mourning and your heart was broken, but your life was changing..." 

See? So good! I rather quite enjoyed it. I think I recommend it. But beware there is a bare bum scene.


Also, I went on an adventure today!!
Hazel Nut Hot chocolate from Starbucks,

Wandering in a used book store on old main, (In Cedar)
And purchasing cute tiny (I know, this one's not tiny) coke glasses and some Dr. P for the Phantom of the Opera party!

Erin, 'mein seester', is a fun buddy to hang out with! I wanted to go to some random, kinda nice looking apartment complex and pretend like I was looking for housing to see if I could walk through some. I love looking at houses. Slash apartments. Isn't it just fun? I guess that'll have to wait until another day. :)

And now I'll leave you with two thoughts:
A- in Phantom of the Opera, Roul is just really random during the dramatic love triangle scene. His song is a "one of these things is not like the other" moment. It just doesn't blend. I personally think he just felt jaded and left out so he had to make up his own song in the middle of Erik and Christine's. What a silly man.
B- Church Music is fantastic. I played the piano earlier, and there's a song called "He knows me", that I might be sort of obsessed with. I'm working on finding it, and when I do I'll post it. But, my point is, music is so powerful. It carries so much of the spirit- or I guess there's the other hand where it can chase the spirit away- and church music is always so sweet. Unlike other music that's just an emotional band-aid, this is like... I don't know, neosporin. (However you spell that.)
I'm rambling now. I should probably proof read/edit this post, but it's 11:30 which= past my bedtime.
(Sleep sounds more fun anyway. :) Have a fantastic Friday!)
  
  

1 comment:

  1. Now I really want to watch that movie! Those quotes were great!

    ReplyDelete